Thursday, October 1, 2009

Blog stage 2:
The 3 R’s: Responsibility, respect, restraint was the editorial published in The Miami Herald on Wednesday September 23, 2009. This editorial is about violence in schools and what leads to it. It is asking who we should get involved to lower the crime rate in school, and who we should blame on responsibility for those children. First I think it is to no blame of the parents, this is because a lot of kids do drugs or commit crime to get attention or to get accepted from their peers, which is also known as peer pressure. I don’t think the crime rate in schools has anything to do with what the kids watch on television, or what video games they play, or with what they see on the internet. I believe it’s because of who they choose to surround themselves with. The editorial talks about a stabbing at one of the schools in south Florida, but there was a stabbing at the high school I attended and there was no security or metal detectors added and there shouldn’t be. Also I do understand that these crimes happening in these schools are not ok, but I do not believe that prayer or anything of the sort should be added. I do completely agree that if a kid was to know about someone having a gun or a knife, that they should report it. Overall, I think the schools should make some changes if a crime were to happen at that specific school, but nothing drastic, and especially nothing for those schools that have had no crime at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment